Thursday, January 31, 2008

Speech woes

I had a parent/teacher conference yesterday for TheMiddleChild. Like I thought for TheOldest, it felt a little silly. What is Mrs. H. going to say? "She is doing a great job and doesn't run with scissors."

Mrs. H. did say she's the perfect Montessori child. She watches other children intently and learns from them. Then when it is her turn, she does the work without needing too much help. She puts away her work. Right now, and this bugs me, she only plays with one little boy. She doesn't play with any other kids but this one. So the teacher suggested having a playdate with some other kids. She also has been working more in the Practical Life area which is normal for her age group.

She also said that she can tell when she's about to have a meltdown and if they don't catch it right away, it's all over. Hey, I don't call her my drama queen for nothing. Once the meltdown starts, she ends up needing to be walked down to the office to calm down. Call me a mean mommy, but I just had to laugh. She's like that at home too. She has these "oh my god, my life is ending" meltdowns for the most ridiculous stuff- like if we sing with the radio. She wants to be the only one singing.

But Mrs. H. did say something that made me concerned. She said she was having trouble understanding her. TheOldest is in Speech Therapy and has been since she was 17 months. I did have TheMiddleChild evaluated a year and a half ago or so. She didn't need therapy then and has honestly been so much more advanced verbally than TheOldest that it never crossed my mind. I knew she was hard to understand at times, for other people of course, I can understand her 90% of the time.

Yesterday afternoon, TheOldest had her private therapy session. I asked her therapist Karin about TheMiddleChild. Karin ended up taking TheMiddleChild into TheOldest's therapy session and observed her. Unfortunately, she qualified so she starts therapy next week.

I pointed to TheYoungest and said to Karin, "should i just sign her up now?"

Honestly, I'm a little perturbed by the whole thing. We already do three therapy sessions for TheOldest a week. Now we're adding in one for TheMiddleChild. And we have swimming lessons and Kindermusik during the week as well. Not to mention 5 days a week of half-day Montessori.

No wonder I'm always tired.

0 comments: