Monday, February 4, 2008

TheYoungest's first few months (cont.)

Where was I? Oh yes, the vomiting, the hives. It is hard to believe that was a month ago. That means TheYoungest is 5 months old. Happy Month Birthday, Baby!

I had instructions to call the allergist the next Monday morning. Our pediatrician recommended one that I had already seen with TheMiddleChild. I didn't care for her that much, so I looked around for another.

I really wanted one affiliated with Children's Memorial but the soonest I could get in was 7 weeks later. I decided to see the first allergist, who had an appointment seven days later. I figured she could at least start the testing.

The appointment with her wasn't too exciting. She didn't impress me any more this time, but she did order the blood test I was hoping to get. We got the results a week ago and it appeared as if she was only allergic to milk.

I was told we could start soy formula with her instead of the Nutramigen. Even though I'm nursing, I am not producing enough milk due to her refusal to nurse when I was drinking milk. Nutramigen is very expensive so I was happy to hear about the soy.

We decided to wait to try it until the weekend when LushMan would be home just in case.

5 comments:

Tami said...

We love Children's Memorial. We take our son there to a Pediatric Dermatologist for something (I don't remember the name of it) on his face/neck. It is a great Hospital. I actually need to make another appointment for my son to see about getting it lasered off.

dlyn said...

My 1st visit to your blog - hope that you get the formula troubles worked out. I will be back to read your blog again!

Debra said...

Stopping by from PW's site to encourage you to continue the breastfeeding. I am the mom of four daughters ages 14, 15, 18, and 20, and I spent ten years either pregnant or nursing, or pregnant and nursing, and it was worth every minute of it.

Oh yes, and even though my youngest is now 14, people STILL ask me if I was trying for the boy. Like you, I wasn't, I loved having girls! People can be so presumptuous!

Best of luck with the allergies. Your milk supply will increase again if you can get the baby to nurse more frequently for a while. Also, you might try pumping in between because that will also help to increase the supply. Just freeze what you pump off so that you can use it later on.

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Hi - mom of 3 BOYS here! My youngest (8.5 months) is highly allergic to cow's milk. He did the head to toe hive thing as well, but we didn't know what it was. Then after his first bottle of milk based formula (at 5 months old) he had an anaphylactic reaction and was rushed to the ER via ambulance. Some fun.

I am still nursing and the whole family is *mostly* dairy free because of the severity of his allergy. If you have any questions about shifting to dairy free (if that's what you'll be doing) please feel free to email me! I had lots of help in the beginning as it was all quite overwhelming.

However, as I offer my help, I realize that your post writing seems fairly calm - you appear to be on pretty good terms with the news of the allergy. I was a wreck!

Either way, let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help where I can!

Becky

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

You are doing a great job even giving it a go(nursing). It is so hard when baby is refusing the breast and you want to nurse.

You have a plan B and that is good to focus on if things don't go to plan A.

Have you tried a lactaction consultant or parenting forums that have experts ?

'Best of luck with the allergies. Your milk supply will increase again if you can get the baby to nurse more frequently for a while. Also, you might try pumping in between because that will also help to increase the supply.'

I second this advice - I pumped for one twin for 5 months and nursed the other. Then the other twin started to breastfeed @ 5 months after refusing for 5 months.I had already stopped offering but one day he just nursed and we haven't looked back.

I came by from Meleah @ twintastic - she linked you.