Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday: Mastercook


I stumbled upon a cookbook software a few years ago and I have to say that not a few days go by that I don't use it.

Mastercook has become a life saver for me. It comes with its own recipes (over 8000 actually!), but what I like it best for is to create my own cookbooks. I have one cookbook for crock pot cooking, one for Christmas cookies, and now I'm starting one for dairy free meals.

It manages shopping lists too. In fact, I made a dairy free recipe today. Instead of writing out my shopping list, with one click, I added the ingredients necessary to create my meal. I was able to delete the ones I had at home too. The coolest thing about the shopping list is that it automatically sorts the items by location in the store. No more wandering aimlessly in the grocery store.

Meal planning is something that seems like it would be a good idea, but I just can't get my act together to do it. But when I do, the software also does that.

All that and more for only 20 bucks.


4 comments:

Our Love Story said...

Sounds like a great tool!

Claremont First Ward said...

I definitely need to check this out!

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting! When you say you create your own cookbooks, do you mean you've printed them out in book form, or you just have them organized according to categories? If you print it out, what kind of format is it in? I was wondering how easy it would be to add to it. Does it figure out nutritional information, too?

nottryingforaboy said...

barbara- I meant you can create them electronically. BUT I'm happy to tell you that there is way to print out a cookbook that you've created. I've never done it, but it seems as if the option is there from the cookbooks screen. There's an option for a table of contents too.

It does factor in nutritional information as long as you put in the servings your meal makes.

Hope that helps!